MENU
Cheltenham
Italian Society

 

Welcome to the Cheltenham Italian Society Web Site

Benvenuti alla Società Italiana di Cheltenham

(Affiliated to the Cheltenham Arts Council)

For all who love Italy - its culture, history, language,

and people.

We meet monthly (except in the Summer) with an exciting Programme.

Our monthly programmes cover a whole range of different subjects.

Please see details of Where We Meet.

 


A short history of the Society

The Society was founded in 1959 by the late Miss Anne Maude MacIntyre Macrae, who in pre-war years had been Secretary to the British Consul in Genoa.  The first meeting was held on 12th October 1959 at the Bellevue Hotel (demolished - it was situated in the High Street). When, in 1964, Lord Parmoor donated his house to Cheltenham, the Society moved its meetings to this most attractive location in Lypiatt Road, its present home.

Miss Macrae is remembered by Judy Temple, Mme Meigh, Eileen Cheverton and Bill Lansbury of Tivoli Printing.  They describe her as small. very authoritative, and knowledgeable.  She lived at the Ellenborough Hotel (now demolished) in Wellington Street and people recall that she always served sherry to her guests, who, consequently, were numerous.

At a meeting of the Society on 2nd November 1964 a medal, awarded by the Cultural Department of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was presented by Professor Donini to Miss Macrae for her services to Italian culture.  

Jo Dean


Click here for a list of our past officers.